06 July, 2010

Happy 4th

I spent the 4th of July in Kedougou, a lush beautiful GREEN region of Senegal near the Guinean border 500 kilometers from my site. We made the 13 hour journey for the annual independence day bash held by PCVs. BBQ. Beers. Dance party. And a 3 hour bike ride turned 8 hour detour off the trail and lost through the fields and grasslands where the air was scented by wild mint and fresh rain. All in search of a waterfall. I was nearly charged by a cow I mistakenly made too much eye-contact with. My ankle is swollen from falling off a bike while riding side-saddle in the dark. All-in-all I had a wonderful holiday and I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate our nations independence than by lighting off Chinese fireworks and dancing to Lady Gaga, in West Africa. God bless America.

Photos to come. But for now I will leave you with this:



My lovely host brothers wish you a happy independence day.

No comments:

Post a Comment