29 July, 2010

Village life in the big city

A while back my computer died on me. One too many power surges zapped my charger...and now I spend my siest (the three hours after lunch when everything closes so people can nap away the afternoon heat) reading any printed literature I can get my hands on instead of watching reruns of Golden Girls on my computer. So, I will be out of commission for a while until this problem is regulated. I will also probably build a wealth of knowledge of very random topics from all the reading I now do in my spare time.

In other news my family is moving to a new house. In true Senegalese style, we are moving in before the house is actually finished. So it resembles less of a house you and I are accustomed to and more of a hobo squat shelter in Watts. Exposed brick, cement and dirt floors BUT we'll all have doors, alhumdulilah. No power and no running water for now. In West Africa, it is possible to be a villager in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment